Friday, September 18, 2009

Notes From the Tilt A Whirl


Notes From The Tilt-A-Whirl
Wide-Eyed Wonder in God's Spoken World
By N.D. Wilson
Read this for the Nelson bloggers review and must admit I have a love-hate relationship with it. I love the challenge he gives to the reader to experience life to its fullest through observing and awareness. Some of the topics he covers in his most creative way:the problem of Evil, Heaven and Hell, does God exist, Creation, and the Sovereignty of God.
I love the creativity of his writing and alliteration as well as the imagery his words invoke. Also that he truly is "showing" you his insights from the Tilt-A-Whirl. I also love the challenges to see the world through God's creative eyes, not missing all that He is trying to show us through this "ride" called life. For instance one of my favorite quotes: "We are always on stage. We are always in a novel, and even when no other characters are around, the art continues. The Triune audience watches" (p. 33)

But I do "hate", which is truly too strong a word for my emotions with this, how long it takes him to make a point due to his creative use of words. I do "hate" how he uses offensive slang and curse words at times, I think its unnecessary and to some I think it will be offensive and they will miss the points because they are focusing on the words too much. I "hate" how he never resolves questions leaving the reader to wonder where he stands.

Finally, reading this is definitely a wild ride. It is an experience. If you are a logical, "just give me the facts and the bottom line" type of reader I can almost assure you that you will be frustrated reading this book. However if you are an experiential reader, loving the ride that the author will take you on while gleaning from his insights then you will love this book. Having the words Tilt-A-Whirl in the title are indicative of the "ride" you will be on from the very first chapter to the end.

No comments: